Skip to main content
Sir Anthony van Dyck’s painting Marchesa Lomellini which has been donated to the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum in Glasgow.

The work, titled Marchesa Lomellini, has been acquired by Glasgow Museums and will be on display at the city’s Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum from November 18.

Painted during the artist’s six years in Italy between 1621 and 1627, it depicts a young Marquise Lomellini, a member of the noble Lomellini family of Genoa, and is the first van Dyck to enter the city’s collection.

Register to our daily newsletter

The newsletter mute the noise

The work is from the collection of Sir Ilay Mark Campbell, 7th Baronet of Succouth (1927-2017) and Lady Campbell.

She and her family donated the painting to the Glasgow Museums Collection, which is managed by the charity Glasgow Life, as part of the Acceptance in Lieu scheme, administered by the Arts Council on behalf of the UK government.

Councilor David McDonald, chairman of Glasgow Life, said: “We are delighted to accept this significant painting. Acquisitions are a source of excitement, celebration and inspiration and, more than ever, they highlight the contribution of art and culture to the well-being of people.

“Until now Glasgow had no van Dyck painting. This portrait, by an internationally significant Old Master painter, greatly enhances our collection of world-class artwork and pairs well with other paintings we have exhibited.

“Not only will it attract much attention from regular visitors, but given the excellent standard of the painting, as well as the international significance of the artist, it is likely to attract tourists from all over the world now that they can travel safely to Glasgow once again.”

Acceptance of the work from the collection of Sir Ilay and Lady Campbell settled £2,450,000 in tax.

Scottish artist and art dealer Andrew Wilson acquired the work from the Lomellini family as part of a series of “exceptional” Genoese portraits purchased in Italy in 1828.

The painting once hung in the same room in the Palazzo Lomellini as what is believed to be the most ambitious of all of van Dyck’s Genoese portraits, the Lomellini family, which is in the collection of the National Galleries Scotland.

It was later purchased by Sir Archibald Campbell of Succoth, 2nd Baronet, (1769-1846), of Garscube House, near Glasgow, where it hung in the dining room.

His great-grandson Sir George Campbell of Succoth, 6th Baronet (1894-1967) lent it to the City of Glasgow on a long-term loan and it hung in the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum from 1946 to 1976, before it was inherited by the late Sir Ilay Campbell of Succoth.

Culture Secretary Angus Robertson said: “The Acceptance in Lieu scheme is a great way to add to the range of internationally renowned paintings and objects that everyone in Scotland can enjoy.

“This is an important and valuable acquisition, which I hope will bring great joy to many people.”

Van Dyck was born in Antwerp, Belgium in 1599 and became one of the most important painters of the 17th century.

The Acceptance in Lieu scheme was established in 1910 and allows donors to offset their inheritance tax obligations by bequeathing to the public objects of cultural, historical or artistic significance.